Monday, September 20, 2010

Cankles, Chicken and Mullets. My weekend.

1. Sorry for the No Post Weekend, my friends! Lulu was dealing with Koenig's health (yay for dogs who make quick recoveries!) while I, among other things, was getting laughed at by a team of medical professionals. It's true. I went to the doctor's office the other day because Asia legit made me nervous about my fat feet and ankles. (Evidently Asia's opinion is held in higher regard than my own husband's, parents', and sister's opinions? Woopsies!) Anyway I went in and my fears were confirmed, I have issues.

It's so weird. I've only had the doctor I saw one other time (I rotate between 5 different docs), and she is just so blunt. Which normally I can get on board with (just call me Blunts McGee!)(Sike don't call me that. I sound like a drug dealer.), but not when it has to do with my vanity health.  She asked me why I was there, and I told her I'm not feeling 100%, and being that this is my first pregnancy I'm just trying to be overly cautious etc etc, and I showed her my gordo ankles. And this is her response, "OH MY WORD! THOSE?!?! ARE CANKLES!!!!" And sort of gives an elbow to the nurse in a, "Damn! Would ya look at those bad boys?!" way. Wait. Really? However accurate it may be, I'm pretty sure CANKLES is not medical terminology. Anyway long, and traumatic story short, I have really bad Edema in my feet/ankles/legs/soul. It may require me to go on a modified work schedule (read: more blogging! yay!), because sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day is making my anks worse.
As I was leaving I asked her if the next time I come in I should make the appointment with her. (Being that now we've bonded. And by bonded I mean she insulted me, and I sat there like a boob acting like it made sense.) And she's like, "That won't be necessary. Because ANYONE could see THOSE." And she points to my cankles (who are now weeping in the corner, wearing a dunce cap).

In the end my cankles and I took our business elsewhere. To Starbucks, duh. Where you cannot be judged based on race, creed, or cank size.

2. In more uplifting news, I made delicious tacos the other night. The recipe for the chicken is so simple (my bestie the crockpot helps) and definitely was a crowd pleaser! I served the tacos with sour cream, cheese, lettuce, etc and it was really easy!

Here is the recipe for the chicken (can't remember which blog I saw it on...sorry! I need to get better at that.):

Sweet and Spicy Slow Cooker Chicken
serves 4
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2) [Personally I don't think two breasts is enough. I did four because my cousin came for dinner. The guys each had two, and I had one. Always take into consideration that growing men eat twice as much!]
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
-1/3 cup brown sugar
-1/4 cup crushed red pepper flakes [Kick it up a bit if you want more spice. I did 1/2 cup and ours were pretty darn spicy.]

Put chicken in the crockpot. Combine tomatoes, brown sugar and red pepper flakes in a bowl and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours. Shred chicken with a fork and serve on  soft tortillas.

Done and done! Sooo easy. Sooo tasty. Sooo makes you look like you know what you're doing.

3. This weekend was so nice. Friday night we went to dinner with one of our favorite priests, Father Ivany. He is the priest who celebrated our wedding and guided us through pre-Cana. He is the BEST! Saturday Joel went to a friend's bachelor party, so I was left to my own devices. A couple girlfriends (whose men were also at the bach party) and I decided to hit up the DC Big Flea Market at the Dulles Expo Center. We cleared out the car, loaded up on Starbucks, and made our way down to the show. It was the first time the three of us had been to something like this, and we were totally in sensory overload! SO. MUCH. STUFF.  And we made out like bandits!

(Unfortunately my computer is acting a fool and won't let me upload pictures right now. So I have to wait until tomorrow to post all of my sweet purchases.)

In the mean time I will leave you with this beaut...
Business in the front, party in the back.
You like how my sis-in-law and I are pretending to be super enthralled with the antiques so that this crazy beast could be captured on film?!

Sunday our cousin's family invited Lulu, me and our hubbies down to Fort Belvoir for some golf and relaxation. The men played golf while the ladies lounged and chatted. It was a great time! We had delicious Cincinnati chili, brownie sundaes and watched the heartbreaking 'Skins game :( They lost-- but it wasn't for a lack of effort!

The weekends are going by so fast, and the countdown to baby Sellier is getting lower and lower. 50 DAYS UNTIL MY DUE DATE. In the grand scheme of life, 50 days might as well be tomorrow. AYEYEYEYE!!!

Enjoy your Monday!!

-Charlie

P.S. Look at the cute pillows I won from Christina's Adventures!

I feel pretty lucky! Thank you so much Christina!! Here at ATOTS we endorse giveaways and everything they represent. If all goes well, Lulu and I will be hosting our own pillow giveaway at the beginning of October!

P.P.S. A bunch of people with super awesome taste have been asking me where I got the shoes I talked about here. The answer is DSW, girls! Click this link-----> Penny loves Kenny flats They come in black and copper too!

2 comments:

Christina said...

Hey! Thanks for linking up to my website :) Can you send your address to me at christinahibbs (at) hotmail (dot) com ?

I'll make a trip to the post office once I get a chance :)

Fabulously Awkward said...

I would've PUNCHED that doc. Sorry, but that is HIGHLY inappropriate. I also am dying to make that chicken recipe. Looks amazing.

And the mullet photo? Took this Monday from meh to awesome(h). Thanks.